Sunday, October 5, 2014

Being a 'Laggard'

When some of my fellow-beings ask me, or rather pinch me, these days to change the long-time Nokia handset to a brand new smart phone, I return them with a well-extended smile and with the usual tagline "m a poor fellow". In some occasions though I had to elaborate.

My present job profile, to my understanding, does not need a smart phone at this stage since the job can be well done without having a facebook, a twitter or a watsapp on the go!!  You cannot adopt smartness by purchasing a high-end gadzet. Or else if you think that you can, it no way helps in my work in the present context. To elaborate it further, when you can't expect a reply from your higher-ups through email, when you have to take print-out of 12-15 pages to get approval of many tiny things on daily basis, I don't find any logic of using a smart phone resulting in any help to my work. The fellow who has experience of working in PSU or Govt sector can well imagine the fate of  rhetorics like paper-less office or to that extent, digital India!!

The point I would like to draw here is all I need is to call a person or send sms. That's well done through the handset I have.I don't need an Android phone for that.

Despite my take on social media, I do visit facebooks to get a glimpse of what's happening around. I do it occasionally, when I have time and have nothing creative to do, which is again a rare occurance thesedays. I would love to be the father and husband in me, then being with any virtual  'other'.

xxx

Alas, comments like "nice pik" on the wall (of others) spoil my mood. The average updates on the Wall will be like somebody uploads a selfie while brushing his/her teeth and 97 others like him/her line up to like it within a hour.

I can't do that and that's why I only navigate to update myself, sometimes get to read good stories and nice quotes which is easily accessible on the same platform. At times, I think that people opt for facebooks as it provides them with an alternative to their love, relationship, infedility. It's titillating to that sense and that's why they love to spend most of the time regardless of what they are doing, what they are eating, talking and where they are standing.

xxx

In the long turn, this trend may cause a sure setback to our culture by creating a population of loners. The social loners!!!

Tail Piece : Incidentally, I got to read the story of the Washington Post. It was like what I wanted to convey long back. Thanks again to Facebook, courtesy one my old pal of Times Days. Read on.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/10/03/back-up-husbands-emotional-affairs-and-the-rise-of-digital-infidelity/?tid=sm_fb

No comments:

Post a Comment

Someone to Cry...

People die, people cry. One dies making others cry. Sometimes ayes, sometimes nay. xxx If one of them dies, Having nobody to cry... xxx  Let...