Saturday, September 19, 2009

Being ST

We used to call Srinivas sir as "ST" those days and also used to poke fun of him for being too simple. Back in hostel, we used to repeat his gesture, posture and his utterances word by word and used to have tons of fun. I still remember how ST introduced Franz Kafka to the entire class before starting The Trial in the second year.

"Acctualllyyy I diddn't know anything aboutt Kaaafka. I was in deeeeeep thought. I even felt like crying. Then one day my cousin told me about him. Then I prepared a note. Till date, I am following that note to teach all my students. Actuallyll, I also don't know much about Kafka. But today I don't fear him. He is a great writer. So don't get confused because of his confusions. I willll give some notes. But still you may have some doubts. I also have doubts. Actuallllyyyy, it is very difficult to understand him."

Thus the slightest thought about ST, my teacher, makes me laugh from my belley even today.

But I am little disappointed for another ST (Shashi Tharoor) today. Indian politics seems to have not been matured enough to understand the depth of his twits a la "the cattle class". Mean politics is eating out our sense of humour!! We as a nation are unable to understand even the beauty of a language, and the tongue-in-cheek it provides!!

Tail Piece : Politics is not that boring (man!!) if you have nuances to enjoy it. It is not always the Laloos offering very crude sense of humour. But there are so many telling it in a much dignified manner for many of keen elite observers like us. For example, the pronunciation of Pranab Mukherjee. I find another ST (my teacher) in him. Coincidentally, Pranab da was an Economics teacher during the prime of his career.

1 comment:

  1. true!!!
    humour helps in dissolving the harshness and the crudeness of the political world!hence it acts as a fresh whiff of air...
    and all my sympathies to ST... wat a subtle remark

    LOL

    ReplyDelete

Someone to Cry...

People die, people cry. One dies making others cry. Sometimes ayes, sometimes nay. xxx If one of them dies, Having nobody to cry... xxx  Let...