Friday, January 18, 2013

On Saying No

16th Jan 2013. I was called to my boss' chamber just after half-an-hour in the office. I was asked to carry the baton of a special assignment in addition to my responsibilities, with a note that I have been considered so special to handle this additional part. The job ? To be the Nodal Officer for OBC &  Physically Challenged employees in the power station of NTPC Korba. I agreed, apparently assuming that I too had become an important part like the other important parts of the same office. A sense of entering into a Hall of Fame suddenly engulfed my subconscious? I agreed albeit with a note, that somebody belonging to the community could be a better option anyday. There was no need to explain further the mileage of the belongingness. The ball had a perfect return shot by then.

18th Jan 2013. The lady reporting officer who had been part of the earlier 'Assignment Fixing' was this time sweetly cribbing before the boss that I should also represent the department in super-boss' (Project Head) darbar (deptt. review meeting) since I was good at Saying No. By that time I had already denied to dispose my assistant to get a book gift-rapped from the nearby market which was to be presented to one outgoing senior executive on the pretext that both of my assistants were busy in more important official stuff.

By then, I had also expressed my dislike for the book, which was something like 10 commandments to be a best CEO. I had offered my logic why we won't think of giving a book on how to be a great subordinate? Because anyday, he can't be a CEO in this company.  Instead of giving a book on Positive Thinking, which for me a West-fixated culture imported to India, we should rather give him a book on Saying No to people around as this should help the fellow from Finance department run his show better.

When the lady was bent on getting the things done, I had an idea on the table that mementos like books should not be rapped as they create a better impact without the shadow. The idea was accepted amid laughter of all present there.


Tail Piece : Yet to finish the book, The Antidote by British journalist Oliver Burkeman. The subtitle _ Happiness for people who can't stand positive thinking _ should help in some soul searching. Insecurity is the result of trying to be secure, that's how it begins.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Someone to Cry...

People die, people cry. One dies making others cry. Sometimes ayes, sometimes nay. xxx If one of them dies, Having nobody to cry... xxx  Let...