Saturday, August 15, 2009

15th August, Ampro Biscuit, & the 5th Anniversary

Celebrating 15th August today, for me, is more a kind of celebrating my survival. Once born, an intestinal problem (Conginental Megacolon) had almost jeopardised my childhood and had stolen the smile of my parents that they had to put in their everything to get their son admitted to AIIMS. May be, thats why I was more determined to face the second incident on 15th August 2004 all by myself. Then I felt proud remembering the once teenager in me who had failed to be accompanied by his schoolteacher dad to receive the Best Short Story writer (Kathaa) Award from the then CM in Bhubaneswar. The 18-year-old thus could not turn up. Then dad's contention was that his son should learn to stand up on his own.
As a schoolkid, celebrating 15th August was a wonderful experience. I still can't forget the flavour of garam bundi & jhuribhaja in a paper thola. I used to show both my hands and thus grab two packets of bundi while in queue. Many smart guys used to do that in our school. Later, when I was in Hyderabad, I along with other members of the Turning Point community used to go to a nearby sweet shop at WestMarredpally and enjoy bundi to cherish our fellow filling.
However, after joining this PSU, I got an opportunity to be part of a full-scale Independence Day function sans any bundi-jhuribhaja. Besides bundi, if I miss onething it is the pleasure of standing first in debate competitions used to be held on the occasion of Independence Day in school. I remember, when I was in Class II, I got "Ampro" biscuit packet of Rs 2 as first prize. That was my first (First) Prize for my first debate competition. My father used to prepare the content of my speech and would wake me up early in the dawn so that I could get it in my memory to deliver word by word. By the time, I reached High School, participants from other schools used to whisper if Ashutosh is there, better they need not participate in the debate.
As a kid, I remember, I used to create some slogans as part of "Pravat Pheri" on Independence Day function in my school and thus had been cautioned by our school PET. Then I was enlightened more by Subhas Bose and Bhagat Singh and thus believed in LK Advani-brand of politics. I remember that I came out to the street to welcome Mr Advani during his Rath Yatra, I was then in Class VII probably. Today, I find this brand of politics very disgusting though Advani has been mellowed over the years.
Living up to my 4-year-old practice, I called up Dr TDR and we shared pleasantries for both 15th August as well as 6th Anniversary of 15th August 2004. I spoke to my close buddies including the one who became a dear friend of mine post my admission to Yashoda. Later in the day, visit to a nearby spot of around 15 km distance, Jhora, with such natural beauty was really satisfying. Alas, even after two & half years, I never had explored this place!! If only I could capture some shots...and we drove back while the music was on in full volume and a few rain drops caressing the window of our car!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Someone to Cry...

People die, people cry. One dies making others cry. Sometimes ayes, sometimes nay. xxx If one of them dies, Having nobody to cry... xxx  Let...